Apr 29, 2004

feelin' the love

Unbeknownst (spelling?) to me, my father is not only inappropriate at most times, but at ALL times. yes, it is true. many of you may have heard about the misunderstanding at mardi gras this past festival season. the rumors are true, my biological father actually asked someone on the street, "so, are you a man or a woman?!?" she wasn't even dressed up. yes, i know it's shocking how rude he can be. but wait, it gets even better. last night, i invited jonathan over for a casual dining experience, or so i thought, with my parents and some of my father's "work associates." (side note- i still speculate that my father deals in drugs or something along those lines because despite bi-weekly paychecks, he always seems to be at garage sales, seeking out antiques, planting seeds for the enlarging of our infamous volvo farm, or napping. hmm, must investigate.) little did i know that upon jonathan's arrival my father would begin to criticize him. when we retreated to my room after almost being beat up by my dad's friends for not wanting a beer, we were quickly summoned downstairs by a bellowing, "what are you two, DOING up there, anyway?!?!" the night was full of moments almost as fun as the aforementioned. however, the evening did not end in the notorious Manthey "love chant." it was quite the opposite; more like negative rays of hate aiming daggers at my father while he made inappropriate jokes and popped "texas sized jelly beans" which his friend had given him. (side note- gag gifts are a hot item in the manthey clan. i.e.- chia heads which are passed off each Christmas to the unfortunately elected relative (much like a fruitcake recipient), various ties with planets, orbs and perhaps large slices of cheese being cut, and the infamous canister of tennis balls that does not really qualify under the category "gag gift" but we have given it to my uncle every christmas for as long as i can remember. he still finds this quite hilarious every year. i think my family just stockpiles boxes of tennis balls, because, whether or not we invite him, the information always leaks out and he always shows up at our house and quickly ravages the kitchen for any food that was unknowingly left lying around. love is a battlefield.)

anywho, i've been keeping myself occupied lately. whether it has been staring at pieces of paper with chemistry problems, holding a pencil and almost writing down my daily homework, staring at walls while i try and read books for english, pretending to dig up old history notes for my upcoming AP exam but instead organize my closet... many useful things as you can see. i have the ability to find the most boring things interesting when i've got other NECESSARY things that must be done. such as, blogging. i haven't blogged since around easter, yet i find time for it so that i don't have to study for my daunting AP. speaking of, does anyone know what happened in Africa between the years of 1400-1600?? i don't. oops. well, i should get back to doing useful things. maybe i'll measure the amount of pressure needed to turn the light in my fridge off; oh the things you can think if only you're (fill in appropriate event that you are trying to avoid preparing for).

No comments: